Taxidermy Game Head Course
Game Head Course
Ready to learn the art of taxidermy and master the game head? Want to learn side-by-side, one-on-one with one of the most decorated and experienced taxidermist in the country?
Award-winning taxidermy expert and taxidermy competition judge Shawn Dawson’s game head course does exactly that. Shawn gives you the skills, knowledge and abilities to master the game head, no experience required. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or more advanced, this is your opportunity to learn from one of the best in the country.
Get Our Taxidermy Catalog For Free
Sign up for our free Taxidermy Catalog by Shawn Dawson.
EASY PAYMENT PLANS AVAILABLE – CALL (406) 452-8500 FOR DETAILS
All Classes Require A $500 Deposit To Hold Your Position – Call (406) 452-8500 For Reservation
Full balance is due on the 1st day of class.
TIMBERLAND TAXIDERMY IS APPROVED TO ACCEPT STUDENTS USING GI BILL BENEFITS
More Testimonials About Shawn’s Taxidermy Course
Tuition for a five-day workshop is $1,800.00. Specimens or mannikins are not included in this price (*see below). All other incidental supplies are provided, including glues, clay, apoxie, paint, etc. You will go home with one completed gamehead.
In Shawn’s Game Head Course, you learn:
- Specimen handling and care
- Coding/Identifying the cape before being sent to the tanery
- Form selection and preparation
- Complete Tanning (doing your own tanning vs. using a commercial tannery) You will get a tour of the commercial tannery I use.
- Finish work (filler application and airbrush techniques)
- Proper ear butt anatomy: how it works, exact attachment to head
- Ears using bondo and liners, as well as casting your own earliners
- Proper eye shape and anatomy; depth, angle, rotation, expression (you’ve got to get the eyes right!)
- Proper nose shape inside and out, competition nostrils and septum
- Correct grooming
- Alterations; done quickly, efficiently and accurately
- Anatomy and Symmetry
- Interpreting Reference, a must!
- Tips and tricks you’ll learn to make you game head come to life!
- How to price your product/Marketing
I will be beside you step by step as you mount your game head. I will be working on one of my customers pieces as you are working on yours. If you want to do a whitetail, I’ll work on a customer’s whitetail. If you want to do an elk, I’ll work on a customer’s elk, etc.
You can bring your own antlers and cape if you wish. I recommend you bring a tanned cape if possible, especially if you’re doing the 5 day work shop. I can provide capes and antlers for you if needed.
Gamehead 10-day Workshop is $3,000.00 plus specimens. The only difference from the five-day workshop is that the student will go home with two completed gameheads, plus get a more thorough understanding of anatomy and alterations.
I highly recommend you bring a notebook and camera. If you have a mount you’ve already completed, I recommend you bring it for a critique (not by me, but by you at the end of the workshop).
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.
You will also be given a list of the suppliers I use for all my mannikins and tools.
** A Taxidermy Starter Kit is also available for purchase. Contains practically everything you need to mount game heads. Ask for details**
Classes fill fast. Call for availability. A $500.00 deposit is required to secure your spot. Balance of tuition is due the first day of class. You’re in for a very in-depth workshop; I know you won’t be disappointed.
*Costs of Specimens, etc.
|Deer Cape (raw)||$75|
|Deer Cape (tanned)||$180-225|
|Deer Antlers||$50 – $300|