Taxidermy Mammal Course
Ready to learn the art of taxidermy and master the mammal course? Want to learn side-by-side, one-on-one with one of the most decorated and experienced taxidermist in the country?
Award-winning taxidermy expert and taxidermy competition judge Shawn Dawson’s mammal course does exactly that. Shawn gives you the skills, knowledge and abilities to build masterful mammal trophies, no experience required. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or more advanced, this is your opportunity to learn from one of the best in the country.
Get Our Taxidermy Catalog For Free
Sign up for our free Taxidermy Catalog by Shawn Dawson.
EASY PAYMENT PLANS AVAILABLE – CALL (406) 452-8500 FOR DETAILS
All Classes Require A $500 Deposit To Hold Your Position – Call (406) 452-8500 For Reservation
Full balance is due on the 1st day of class.
TIMBERLAND TAXIDERMY IS APPROVED TO ACCEPT STUDENTS USING GI BILL BENEFITS
More Testimonials About Shawn’s Taxidermy Course
Tuition for a five-day workshop is $1,800.00. Specimens or mannikins are not included in this price (*see below). All other incidental supplies are provided, including glues, clay, apoxie, paint, etc. You will go home with one completed gamehead.
In Shawn’s Mammal Course, you will learn:
- Proper measurements
- Correct skinning procedures
- Fleshing, salting, tanning yourself, as well as using a commercial tannery. (You will be given a tour of the commercial tannery I use)
- Ordering correct form
- Skin and form preparations
- Altering form for fit and for pose. In order to be proficient at life size taxidermy, you will need to know how to alter forms! I will show you how to do this correctly and efficiently
- Proper mounting techniques (strong emphasis on eyes, nose, ears, lips. Also anatomy, symmetry)
- Second day detail work, grooming, etc.
- Tips and tricks to bring your mounts to life!
- Finish work (rebuilding fleshy areas, airbrushing)
- Assembling armature for base (wall or floor). Habitat is a whole separate workshop!
The one big benefit you get and what makes my course different than others is the one-on-one attention you’re going to receive every single minute as you learn in my Mammal Course.
I will be beside you step by step as you work on your full-size mammal. I will be working on one of my customers pieces as you are working on yours. If you want to do a whitetail, I’ll work on a customer’s whitetail. If you want to do an elk, I’ll work on a customer’s elk, etc.
You can bring your own antlers and cape if you wish. I recommend you bring a tanned cape if possible, especially if you’re doing the 5 day work shop. I can provide capes and antlers for you if needed.
You will also be given a list of the suppliers I use for all my mannikins and tools.
** A Taxidermy Starter Kit is also available for purchase. Contains practically everything you need to mount game heads. Ask for details**
Classes fill fast. Call for availability. A $500.00 deposit is required to secure your spot. Balance of tuition is due the first day of class. You’re in for a very in-depth workshop; I know you won’t be disappointed.
|Specimens * Market Price||Mannikins and Eyes|
|Black Bear $300-$1000||$400-$850 life size mannikin, depending on size of the specimen|
|$125 for a close mouth rugshell and eyes, $250 for open mouth rug shell and eyes|
** These are just an example, other specimens can be provided at current market prices**